The May's Go-To List
by Keleigh May on December 9th, 2014

I was asked in response to my blog yesterday on the WOW Summit "​Do you have a go to list you use for Tucker- ie- products you like (bread, etc.) or suggestions for safer food choices while eating out?"  Well, yes I do! And not only do I have a list, but I have the products to give to you!

My Gift From Me to You!

You've got 4 ways to enter to win ALL the goodies in this photo!
(Estimated Retail Value of about $95!)
First-Comment below why you are interesed in trying Non-GMO foods.
Second- Like this post on my Facebook page. 
Third-Share this post on Twitter.
Fourth-Follow me on instagram @wtameal.
I will annouce the winner tomorrow night Wednesday December 10th!

 
Important thnigs to look for when purchasing food:

1. Read the Label! Check for NON-GMO keeping in mind that when you buy Organic it always means GMO Free. 
2. Compare Labels- Here's my real life example...
Last week I was looking through my kitchen and found that I had 2 boxes of "Rice Cereal". I decided to compare ingredients, non-organic vs organic. Here's the Target Name Brand Rice Cereal Ingredients list. 
17 ingredients. Why is there 2 sweeteners in Rice Cereal? It isn't that sweet? It contains BHT. I looked at my body wash bottle last night, and it also contained BHT, what on earth would it be doing in both my cereal and my body wash. Eck. 
3 ingredients. Tastes exactly the same. 17 ingredients or 3, which would you rather give your family? I think the Whole Foods brand cost around $1 more. Remeber everyone THERE IS POWER IN WHAT YOU PURCHASE.
Read the labels, the fewer ingredients the better. 
So many times we think switching from highly processed foods is going to be scary, and well, gross, but in my case, my taste buds have been delighted! Mrs. Thinster's are like the tasty healthy equivilant of an oreo, but are GMO free! They cost about the same, just with no junk. Easy switch. 

Same with Cheez-Itz, I adore those cheddary crackers (I ate so many during my pregnancy I think thats why my son has orange hair), but they are loaded with preservatives and, you guessed it BHT. So long salty friend. What on earth could fill this cheddar shaped whole in my stomach? How about Organic Non-GMO cheddar popcorn from Whole Foods! A bag will cost you about $1.99, and you get all the cheddary goodness with no guilt.  Another easy trade. 

​Some of my favorite products I'm giving away!
(I feel just like Oprah). 

Garden of Life Prenatal Multi Vitamins (good for all women in your reproductive years).
GMO OMG DVD

"297 scientists and experts around the world have signed a statement saying: "There is no scientic consensus on the safety of genetically modified foods and crops." (Ocbober 2013)-GMO OMG Film
Bottom line: take a few extra minutes to check out the ingredients and stick with organic. Remember for nearly every traditional product you love, there is an organic NON-GMO one just waiting to be discovered! Live by the 80/20 rule: do good (organic/non-GMO) 80% of the time, and give yourself grace the other 20%. Want to eat better, it might be easier and tastier than you think because, where there's a meal, there's a way!


Posted in Healthful Hints, Products I Love    Tagged with no tags


4 Comments

Candi - December 9th, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Thanks for this! I'm interested in this because I want to make sure I'm feeding my little girl the safest and best options available (as well as myself and my husband). I have food allergies and want to avoid giving her additives, etc. that could possibly increase my daughter's risk.
Keleigh May - December 9th, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Thanks for your question! Great reasons! My motto is, if your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food, don't eat it!
Brooke - December 9th, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Having children causes you to try and do so much better for them. Especially in regards to food- we would love having a go-to stash to try and expand our healthy choices in our family!
Keleigh May - December 9th, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Agreed! Having Tucker is what inspired this entire blog! Who knew healthy could taste so good?
Leave a Comment


Sign Up for Email Updates
*
Yummly
Yum
Pinterest